So here's what I started with....minus the knob...I never thought of blogging all this....
Then these are the supplies I had...actually this is what we did before we even touched them with paint..
- Made a map or a chart of each cupboard door, and gave it a letter.
- When each door was taken off I sticky noted the letter of the door until all doors were down/off.
- Removed all hardware....when each hinge was taken off I marked the letter of the door under where the hinge was with a permanent marker...under each hinge, just in case we couldn't make out what the letter was.
- Then we covered each of those letters with green painters masking tape.
- Each door was washed and scrubbed with Lestoil....we did this twice...especially the scrubbing. All grease has to be off your painting surface.
- Then we (my husband and I) took sanding blocks and lightly sanded each door, edges and all and the cupboard frames and boxes.
- Then we wiped everything down completely....we had fifteen doors...we will have more once our carpenter brings us back our doors that he has had to repurpose.
- This only took half a day....since our kitchen is relatively small.
- AT THIS POINT YOU COULD PUT ONE COAT OF PRIMER ON ALL PAINTING SURFACES....A VERY GOOD PRIMER....THAT IS WHAT IS RECOMMENDED. WE CHOOSE NOT TO AS WE HAD VERY OLD CUPBOARDS AND WE SANDED ANY SHEEN THAT WAS LEFT ON THEM.
- First I painted all the boxes and frames....then covered our new counter top with drop cloths, sheets and we prepared a painting surface....put our leaf into our table, brought in saw horses....all doors were front side down...so I could easily roll on one coat of our melamine paint which I did in that one day. Once your cupbaords are prepped your first coat of paint goes on very fast. I used a 1 1/2 " angle brush for the frames and we used a small dense roller.
- Waited till the next morning and I put the second coat of base colour on the frames and boxes.
- We then turned all the cupbaords so we could paint the sides and front. Knowing that since they were dark brown already on the back any chips we would touch up once hung...we had to leave more space around each cupboard so we could access the sides. The second day we only put one coat of base colour on the fronts and sides of each cupboard and drawer.
- Day three we put a second coat of base on each side and front of the cupboard doors and drawers.
- On day four I prepared the glaze mixture for antiquing and graining.